Computer / Hardware Upgrade

What is this service?

A request for upgrading/replacing SJRState-owned Computers and Computer Hardware. 

Who is this service for?

Faculty, Staff, and anyone using an on-campus computer. If the device is experiencing issues, please use an "Assistance" or "General" request instead.

How do I request this service?

Use the "Inquire about Upgrade" button on this page, e-mail "" , or call the Helpdesk at 386-312-4142

What information is needed?

Location, name, and person using computer/hardware. Types of issues leading to upgrade request, if any.

What happens after I make my request?

A Helpdesk Technician will give an itemized list of what needs to be done when you call the Helpdesk at 386-312-4142

Inquire about Upgrade


Service ID: 48993
Thu 2/25/21 9:07 AM
Tue 7/20/21 1:37 PM